1100-1150 Construction of the first Lichtenstein Fortress on the spot where Lichtenstein Castle is standing today
1150 - 1200 Construction of the second Lichtenstein Fortress “Old Lichtenstein” presumably supervised by Gebhard of Lichtenstein
1182 Gebhard of Lichtenstein donates land around Herrenberg to Ottobeuren Monastery. Gebhard of Lichtenstein is a ministerial official of Margrave Heinrich of Ronsberg husband of Adelhild of Achalm-Gammertingen.
Um 1200 Building activity with ashlar masonry
1236 Gero of Lichtenstein appears as witness in an official document by Count Berthold of Urach
1243 Abbot Peter of Bebenhausen acquires property in Geisnang from Gebhard of Lichtenstein. Reference to brothers Swaneger and Berthold
1246 Berthold of Lichtenstein becomes Minister of Grüningen near Riedlingen
1251 Reference to Heinrich of Lichtenstein and sons in an official document from Buchau Monastery
1254 Reference to Ludwig, Gebhard and Swaneger in an official document by Ulrich of Württemberg and Heinrich of Fürstenberg
1300 Swaneger of Lichtenstein is bondsman at the selling of Stöffeln and Gönningen to Württemberg
1311 First destruction of the fortress by the citizens of Reutlingen during their war against Count Eberhard of Württemberg
1315 Reconstruction of “Old Lichtenstein” after a peace agreement
1319 Swaneger is one of seven knights who sit in judgement in collaboration with Count Friedrich of Zollern in Mühlheim on the Danube
1327 Swaneger appears as judge at the conciliation of Ulrich of Württemberg and Rudolf of Hohenberg
1332 Swaneger is “Caretaker of the Jews” in Überlingen
1352 Dietrich of Lichtenstein appears as arbitrator at the dispute between the Count of Zollern and Kirchberg Monastery
1377-1388 Destruction of Lichtenstein Fortress by the free city of Reutlingen during the so-called “Wars of the Cities”. Rafe of Lichtenstein dies in the Battle of Reutlingen
1389 Derelict “Old Lichtenstein” becomes property of Württemberg
1389-1394 As part of the settlement with the free cities Lichtenstein becomes property of Count Eberhard of Württemberg. Reconstruction of the destroyed fortress. Swaneger dies, presumably because he had given the fortress to the citizens of Reutlingen
1394-1407 Otto of Baldeck is Württemberg Castellan of Lichtenstein Castle
1409 Hans Speth becomes Castellan of Lichtenstein Castle
1454 Count Ludwig of Württemberg gives Lichtenstein to Wolf of Neuhausen as a fief
1493 Withdrawal of the fiefdom. Benz of Husen becomes Castellan of Lichtenstein Castle
1504 Rafan of Talheim becomes Castellan of Lichtenstein Castle
1519 Duke Ulrich takes refuge at Lichtenstein Fortress
1567 Lichtenstein loses its title as a castle. Duke Christoph replaces the aristocratic position of castellan by the mere position of forest menial
1614 Lichtenstein becomes part of Urach forest and stays residence of the forest menial
1687 The last Master of Lichtenstein, Imperial Ensign Anton of Lichtenstein, dies fighting the Turks
1802 King Friedrich of Württemberg has the upper part of the fortress removed and replaced by a timber frame construction. Lichtenstein becomes a baronial hunting lodge and residence of the forest warden
1803 King Friedrich of Württemberg sojourns at Lichtenstein Castle on the occasion of the first illumination of “Nebelhöhle” (“Fog Cave”, a cave near Lichtenstein Castle)
1826 Wilhelm Hauff’s novel “Lichtenstein” is published
1837 Wilhelm Duke of Urach Count of Württemberg acquires Lichtenstein from his cousin King Wilhelm of Württemberg
1840-1842 Reconstruction of Lichtenstein Castle by Count Wilhelm of Württemberg with the aid of architect Carl Alexander Heideloff from Nuremberg. The reconstruction is supervised by Johann Georg Rupp from Reutlingen
1857 Completion of the barbican by master builder Strohbach
1869 Duke Wilhelm dies at Lichtenstein Castle. The castle becomes the place of residence of his son, Duke Wilhelm of Urach
1901 New construction of the so-called “Fürstenbau” (“Baronial Building”) to the left of the main gate. Extension of the outlying forester’s house
1928 Duke Wilhelm dies and Karl-Gero becomes Duke of Urach Count of Württemberg
1945-1946 Repairing of the damages inflicted during World War II and provisional securing of the tower
1982-1990 Securing of the Castle and the adjoining buildings and restoration of the mural paintings by Duke Karl Anselm of Urach Count of Württemberg with the aid of architect Rudolf Brändle
1991 Continuation of the restoration by Duke Wilhelm Albert
1999 Completion of the restoration of the tower, the third and fourth floor of the castle and the living quarters of Count Wilhelm with the aid of foundations and non-profit associations (“Wüstenrotstiftung” and “Fördergemeinschaft zur Erhaltung des Schlosses Lichtenstein e.V.”) and the State Office for the Preservation of Historical Monuments